Ladies, makeup is not a mask, it’s a form of art and more importantly – it’s a form of expression. It can be a hell lot of fun to try out different things because you have all the creative freedom to experiment with what you like best. Do you also feel that makeup is an extension of your personality? Of course, each one of us has our very own style and preferences but the basics of nailing your makeup – in whatever kind you like – be it simple or intricate are the same.
It’s also really important to be aware of your skin-type as you can decide what kind of products to pick – oil based, water based or mineral makeup. Pick the kind that meets your personal requirements.
PART I: Achieving A Flawless Base
Step 1: Using A Primer
The first and foremost step is to apply a primer. Doing this will boost coverage, smoothen out your texture, minimize pores and will increase the longevity of your makeup. If you’re going to be running around or sweating, then a primer is a must.
Step 2: Applying Foundation
Choose the exact shade of foundation for your skin tone to achieve a flawless look. A good trick for finding the right shade is to match it to your chest. Remember the golden rule, ladies – less is more. That’s the case with foundation.
- Take some product on the back of your hand and apply it on your face using a brush or a damp makeup sponge for an airbrushed effect.
- Make sure you blend the product well along your face, jawline, and neck, so you don’t look like an Oompa-Loompa.
- For better coverage, take some foundation, using your concealer brush and apply over stubborn blemishes.
Step 3: Time To Conceal
A concealer is typically used to cover up those bothersome spots, blemishes and dark circles. Use a concealer in a shade slightly lighter than your skin tone to brighten and even out any areas that need work.
- With a concealer brush, apply the concealer under your eyes in an upside-down triangular shape and blend well.
- Dab some product on spots and other imperfections and blend the edges well, so it seamlessly blends into your foundation.
Choose a liquid concealer for light coverage and a wide area of your face – as for your under-eye area. Choose a compact or stick concealer for a better coverage and small areas.
Step 4: Setting Your Foundation
This step is totally optional but if you are someone with oily skin then make sure to use a compact or setting powder in a color matching your skin tone. You can use a sponge or a buffing brush to apply the product evenly on your face and neck. A compact is easy to tuck into your purse and you can touch-up to keep your face looking shine-free.
Part II: Time To Enhance Your Features
Once you have your base ready, it’s time to define and enhance your beautiful features!
Enhancing Your Eyes
Make sure to purchase a high-quality eyeliner and mascara, so it won’t smudge or smear.
- Using an eyeliner, line your upper waterline and the outer corners of your lower lashline. Use a brush to smudge the product to avoid harsh lines.
- Use an eyelash curler to curl your lashes.
- Apply a coat of mascara to instantly open up your eyes and make you look more awake and bright.
- You can add a hint of a neutral shade of eyeshadow to your eyelids for a complete look.
Getting Those Brows-On-Fleek
Defining your eyebrows instantly adds structure to your face. If you have naturally dark, well-defined eyebrows then congratulations, you may skip this step. But if you have sparse or over-plucked eyebrows, then you can use an eyebrow pencil or brow pomade to fill them in.
- Choose a pencil or product that very closely matches your eyebrows.
- Use short strokes to create small “hairs” in the gaps.
- Use a makeup brush to blend and brush out the product evenly into your eyebrows for a natural look.
- Once you fill them in, you can use an eyebrow gel to set them in place.
There are various amazing products available in the market, specifically for your brows like eyebrow kits and duo-shapers. For special dos, add a highlighter under the brows to make them stand out!
Blush adds a cheeky glow to your skin and makes it look fresh and healthy. Use a blush brush to apply the blush to the apples of your cheek. Refrain from mixing textures – if you are using a powder, stick to a powder blush and if you are going sans powder, stick to a cream blush.
You can add a touch of highlighter or luminizer to your cheek bones, along the bridge of your nose and under your brow bone for an appealing radiance.
Working On That Pout
Before you put on anything on your lips, make sure you’ve moisturized them with some lip balm for lush and healthy looking lips. Choose lip colors that complement your skin tone. If you want to wear nude lipstick, find the right shade of nude for your skin tone. If you’re feeling chirpy and want to go with bright colors, find shades that you can work with.
- If you’re looking for heavy coverage, wear lipstick.
- If you want sheer coverage, line your lips with a lip pencil and dab some liquid lipstick or gloss.
Voila! Your makeup is complete, and you’re set to go out there and rule! Wasn’t that easy? With just a few steps, here and there, every day, you can achieve this camera-ready look. As per your preference, you can amp it up or down to suit the occasion and atmosphere.
This article orgininally appeared on STYLECRAZE.COM. To read more, click HERE.